Vacancy: Program Manager/Editor
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Application Deadline: 5th October 2012. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and the position may be filled before the deadline, so early applications are encouraged.
Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Contract Period: One year (renewable) with a three month probationary period.
Educasia is a small not-for-profit organization providing low-cost, copyright-free education materials and teacher support services to adult education groups in Asia, with a focus on Thailand and Myanmar. Educasia’s context-specific, learner-centered materials cover various subject areas, including English language, social science and community management. Educasia also provides pre-service and in-service teacher training and curriculum support, with priority given to non-formal groups working for social development.
About the Position
This is an exciting opportunity to directly benefit thousands of Myanmar adults and influence the country’s overall educational practices during this period of rapid change.
The Program Manager/Editor will take charge of running a small office in downtown Yangon, and lead the consolidation and expansion of Educasia’s operations in Myanmar and, to a lesser extent, in other parts of Asia. He or she will also play a major role in the development of curricula and teaching materials at all stages, taking primary responsibility for improving the efficiency of production processes and the quality of the final products.
The post is suitable for someone with a strong background in teaching, editing and management.
- Participate in the strategic development of Educasia, including creating budgets and writing proposals.
- Manage and report on a multi-donor budget in conjunction with senior and administrative staff.
- Develop and maintain relationships with partner organizations throughout Myanmar and in other Asian countries.
- Represent Educasia at local, national and international events.
- Supervise and support a team of about five administrative and technical staff, plus numerous volunteer and consultant teacher trainers, materials writers, designers, editors and translators.
- Assist in the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation strategies.
- Plan and oversee the systematic development of curricula and teaching materials for social science, community development, ELT and other subjects.
- Heavily edit and proofread all materials before publication to ensure consistently high standards.
- Personally write content and contribute to the design of materials, subject to need and ability.
- Assess the curriculum, materials and training needs of target beneficiaries, and advise on appropriate resources.
Required Experience and Attributes
- Minimum two years’ experience teaching or teacher training in a development context.
- Proven ability to write and edit substantial teaching materials (not just lesson plans) to a professional standard.
- Some experience supervising others and managing projects.
- Native or native-like English language proficiency.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Able to rapidly learn new skills, especially computer programs.
- Very reliable and well-organized, with a meticulous, systematic approach to all tasks.
- A superb eye for detail, with the ability to spot and repair all inaccuracies and inconsistencies in content, language and design.
- Excellent writing skills, including impeccable grammar, spelling and punctuation, and the ability to tailor language to people with varying levels of English and from differing cultural contexts.
- Strong logical and numerical reasoning skills.
- Able to work both independently, without direct supervision, and as a member of a team.
- Flexible and able to respond to rapidly changing situations.
- Willing to work outside normal office hours when required.
- Willing to travel frequently throughout Myanmar and Southeast Asia, using basic transport and accommodation.
Desirable Experience and Attributes
- Experience developing context-appropriate teaching materials for low-resource environments.
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign and other relevant software.
- Experience living and working in Myanmar.
- Proficiency in Myanmar language.
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant field.
- A teaching qualification.
- Networks among relevant organizations and individuals.
- Other relevant expertise, such as teacher training, social science education, graphic design/illustration, or website development.
Salary and Benefits
- 1,000,000 Myanmar kyat (approx. 1,200 USD) per month.
- Work-related visas, transport and accommodation.
- 20 days’ paid leave per year.
- Basic local health coverage.
Please note: As our budget is tight, we cannot provide the level of benefits that many larger NGOs offer. However, the salary is enough to allow for a reasonable standard of living in Myanmar and Thailand, where living costs are low.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org citing the reference PM-WEB in the subject field. All applications must include:
- A covering letter, both pasted into the email and attached as a PDF file.
- A detailed CV in PDF format, including contact details for at least two referees.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Those who applied for the Program Manager position earlier this year need not re-apply. We will get in touch with any previous applicants whom we would like to reconsider for the post.
Please click here to download a PDF version of this announcement.